42031Re: [civilwarwest] A matter of some definitions
- Sep 10, 2006In a message dated 9/10/2006 5:37:52 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, banbruner@... writes:
I my readings I have come across some terms with which I do not feel
completely comfortable as to their meanings and or distinction:=====Most of this stuff is out-of-bounds for this group, but I'll try tohelp you with definitions. (I don't think the boss will mind.)
1. Lost Causer=====Someone who supports/accepts the "Lost Cause" interpretation of Civil Warhistory, which basically is that the South's cause was virtuous and onlydefeated by overwhelming numbers, and RE Lee was a virtual saint. Checkout the book of essays edited by Alan Nolan and Gary Gallagher.
2. Neo Confederate=====This is not well-defined. Some folks use it to describe anyone who moreor less supports the Confederate cause; others use it to describe modernSouthern secessionists.
3. Unreconstructed Rebel=====My father :-( Someone who does not accept the historical verdict of 1865.JFE
James F. Epperson
- << Previous post in topic