41566Re: John Bell Hood's Class Standing

  • gnrljejohnston
    Aug 6, 2006
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Bruner" <banbruner@...>
      wrote:

      > I just ran across this item. It was stated that Hood graduated in the
      > top half of his entering class at West Point.
      >
      > I had always thought that he was close to the bottom. What's up?
      >
      > Bill Bruner

      Bill,
      John Bell Hood graduated #44 out of a class of 52. His room mate who
      helped him stay in the academy by tutoring him in math was James
      Birdseye McPherson who graduated as # 1. Lets put it this way, 85% of
      the class graduated ahead of him.

      Two others that were in the class of 52 was John S. Bowen who graduated
      13th out of 52 and good old Phil Sheridan who graduated in the bottom
      third of the class.

      IIRC, when they graduated, the Academy Superintendent was Robert E. Lee.

      JEJ
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic