41562Re: [civilwarwest] John Bell Hood's Class Standing

  • keeno2@aol.com
    Aug 5, 2006
      In a message dated 8/6/2006 12:10:30 AM Central Daylight Time, banbruner@... writes:
      I just ran across this item. It was stated that Hood graduated in the top half of his entering class at West Point.
      Bill, to what "item" are you referring? Sounds like one of those trick statistic-based statements. I had understood that he was not at the rock bottom, but the top half? "Entering class" may be the key here. How many of them graduated? If half washed out, the remainder would automatically be in the top half of the entering class. Even the "top half" of the graduating class doesn't take into account that scholastic excellence could be eroded by demerits. Pickett and Custer, arguably not all that bad, exceeded the point at which their position in the graduating order would indicate.

      Just an observation.
      Ken
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic