40810Re: [civilwarwest] Re: A Resolution

  • keeno2@aol.com
    Jul 4, 2006
      In a message dated 7/4/2006 4:11:53 PM Central Daylight Time, GnrlJEJohnston@... writes:
      All this resentment talk is much ado about nothing.
      Agree. It was Lloyd Lewis, I think, that described the Grant/Thomas relationship as "not cordial," which I took to mean, in context, that they weren't as close as Grant/Sherman or Sherman/Thomas. Grant was bummed out after Shiloh, but I see that as more of a personal crisis than a cause for resentment of Thomas. I've seen no real evidence of Grant's resentment. That he leaned on Sherman more than Thomas is not evidence

      Someone mentioned earlier that if anyone had any reason to resent anyone, it was Thomas for Grant. I can agree with the speculation, but I don't see resentment there either.

      Ken

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic