40806Re: A Resolution

  • Tony Gunter
    Jul 4, 2006
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Bob Taubman <rtaubman@...> wrote:

      > "Thomas's difficult personal relationship with the rough-hewn and
      more youthful Grant was evidently founded upon the resentment Grant
      felt when he had been displaced and Thomas appointed in his place
      during the Siege of Corinth."

      > Sword, Embrace an Angry Wind, Page 76
      >
      > But we also know that Thomas resigned his command to return it to
      Grant when Thomas learned he Thomas had been used, unbeknown-st to
      himself, to remove Grant.

      > Pretty rich, eh? Also the Thomas-refusing-to-give-Grant-a-seat"
      fiasco is another known example that might explain Grant's resentment.

      "Might explain resentment," had there been any primary source
      indication that Grant ever felt resentment in the first place.
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic