40802Re: [civilwarwest] Re: A Resolution

  • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
    Jul 4, 2006
      In a message dated 7/4/2006 1:25:51 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, rtaubman@... writes:

      "Thomas's difficult personal relationship with the rough-hewn and more youthful Grant was evidently founded upon the resentment Grant felt when he had been displaced and Thomas appointed in his place during the Siege of Corinth."

      Sword, Embrace an Angry Wind, Page 76
      That is only Wiley's opinion.  Is there actual documentation per se that Grant blamed Thomas for replacing him.  I doubt it very seriously.  I believe he was too much of a professional as Thomas was, and obediently followed the orders of his commander, Halleck.  If he had any resentment towards and individual, it would have been towards Halleck, not Thomas.

      JEJ
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic