3753Re: [civilwarwest] C.S.S. H. L. Hunley

  • Margaret D. Blough
    Apr 3, 2001
      Message text written by INTERNET:civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com

      In a message dated 4/3/01 12:02:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      ParrotheadDan@... writes:

      << I am unaware of any plans for a monument to the C.S.S. H.L. Hunley
      and her brave crew. Additionally, I most sincerly hope that this
      continues on a high scientific level, and not be subjected to the
      "social pot stirrings" of the Confederate flag issue.-----Dan >>

      Dan,
      Eventually the remains of the Hunley's crew will be interred in Magnolia
      Cemetary in Charleston, along side of the other crew members that died when

      it sunk twice before, and along side of the grave of Hunley himself. There

      is already a monument there describing the deeds of these men.

      Last May, Rick Hatcher, Chief Historian of Fort Moultrie and Sumter (and
      also
      co-author of the book "Wilson Creek".) took a group of us there and
      mesmerized us with a talk about all the history of the Hunley.

      Your obedient servant,

      Wayne Bengston
      <

      Wayne,

      Small world and all of that. I know the other co-author, William Garrett
      Piston, from the Longstreet equestrian statue at Gettysburg project.
      Piston and Hatcher started the book when Hatcher was historian at Wilson's
      Creek.

      Regards,

      Margaret
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic