37144Re: [civilwarwest] Re: "Peremptory" orders

  • Bob Taubman
    Feb 2, 2006
      To say it was standard operating procedure is just an easy way to excuse political expediency.  Obviously there was some honour attached to the seniority system in the military but as you have pointed out it was politics trumping tradition.

      josepharose <josepharose@...> wrote:
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Bob Taubman wrote:

      > Fortunately they got it right when they had to replace Rosecrans.
      >
      > "In Don Piatt's biography of General Thomas he described a scene
      in which President Lincoln and several members of his Cabinet
      discussed Buell's successor. Secretary of the Treasury Chase was in
      favor of General Rosecrans for the vacancy and Secretary of War Edwin
      M. Stanton favored General Thomas. After listening patiently to both
      men, the President said, "Let the Virginian wait; we will try
      Rosecrans. Piatt also stated that he was in Secretary Stanton's
      office when he returned from the conference with the President, and
      that his first words were, "Well, you have your choice of idiots; now
      look for frightful disaster."

      > - General George H. Thomas, The Indomitable Warrior, Wilbur
      Thomas(no relation)
      > p. 270

      Mr. Taubman,

      Unfortunately, it appears that some people overlook how things were
      done in the US Army of the time.

      Rhea noted: "Placing Burnside under Meade would constitute a serious
      breach of military protocol."

      Longstreet had written: "I thought it unwise and not military to
      choose a junior for assignment over his senior officers, and
      prejudicial to the espirit de corps and morale of any army, except
      under most eminent services."

      This was jus another case of military politics trumping military
      tradition, common sense, and reasonableness.

      Joseph

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Show all 30 messages in this topic