36552Re: AS Johnston: The Right Plan?

  • civilwargroups
    Jan 13, 2006
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "oneplez" <oneplez@y...> wrote:
      > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "josepharose"
      > wrote:
      > >(snips)
      > > The rebels who had such a hard time merely marching up to Shiloh
      > > Church in actuality would have, in this scenario, been strung
      out for
      > > miles with the Federal army within easy striking distance. I can
      > > hardly think of a more dangerous situation.
      > >
      > > Whoever thought that such a move might have been a good idea
      > > rethink the strategy involved.
      > >
      > > [snip]
      > >
      > > Joseph
      > >
      > No danger Joe! Sherman knew they weren't there.

      Exactly. <grin> I've seen a rather understanding set of posts
      detailing the problems of the Confederate command at the time, and
      those posts stand in stark contrast to the hypercriticism directed
      at Grant and Sherman at the same time.

      If Grant and Sherman were as incompetent as some think, then
      Johnston was in no danger.
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic