36425Re: [civilwarwest] Wallace revisits Shiloh

  • nickrelee@aol.com
    Jan 11, 2006
      In a message dated 1/11/2006 6:31:26 AM Mountain Standard Time, Jfepperson@... writes:
      IIRC, Grant's main criticism of him was that, as he advanced toward the
      army's (original) right, the sound of the firing would have fallen
      behind
      him because of the Confederate advance in the battle; this should have
      told him (Wallace) something.
      I was just looking at McDonough's map, page 51 in the paperback version, and I find it hard to see how the sound of battle would be behind Wallace.  It would be moving more from his front to left flank but that would have happened even if Sherman had kept his camps.  I know Grant said this but I don't think its a valid criticism.
      --Nick
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic