35664Re: Google Makes Public Domain Books Accessible to the World

  • Norm Mikalac
    Nov 3, 2005
      I'm really enjoying this trend of putting more and more information
      on the Internet for free. This means that IF the poor people around
      the world can get access to the Internet, then they have a chance to
      become educated without paying tuition and buying books.

      For the nitpickers: OK, OK the advertising goes with it too.

      Norm

      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, huddleston.r@c... wrote:

      > Google Makes Public Domain Books Accessible to the World; Google
      Print Unveils Collection of Public Domain Books From Libraries at
      University of Michigan, Harvard, Stanford, and the New York Public
      Library

      > MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif., Nov 03, 2005 (BUSINESS WIRE) --
      >
      > Today, Google Inc. (NASDAQ:GOOG) announced the availability of the
      first large collection of public domain books on Google Print. This
      collection, scanned as part of the company's book digitization
      project with several of the world's largest libraries, includes
      works such as U.S. Civil War history books, government documents,
      the writings of Henry James and other materials.

      > Because they're out of copyright, these cultural artifacts can be
      read in their entirety online at http://print.google.com, where
      anyone can search and browse every page. They are fully searchable
      and users can save individual page images.

      > "Today we welcome the world to our library," said Mary Sue
      Coleman, President of the University of Michigan. "As educators we
      are inspired by the possibility of sharing these important works
      with people around the globe. Think of the doors it will open for
      students; geographical distance will no longer hamper research.
      Anyone with an Internet connection can search the text of and read
      the compelling narratives, historical accounts and classic works
      offered today, and in doing so access a world of ideas, knowledge
      and discovery."

      > Examples of the public domain books available on Google Print
      today include:

      > -- Civil War regimental histories and early American writings from
      the University of Michigan

      > -- Congressional acts and other government documents from Stanford
      >
      > -- The works of Henry James from Harvard
      >
      > -- Biographies of New York citizens and other collected
      biographies from the New York Public Library

      > More information and images of pages from these materials can be
      found on the Google Blog at http://googleblog.blogspot.com. These
      works however are just a small fraction of the information that will
      eventually be made available as a result of Google Print.

      > "Our goal is to make these public domain books and the knowledge
      within them accessible to the world," said Susan Wojcicki, vice
      president of Product Management at Google. "Any researcher or
      student, whether they're in New York or New Delhi can now research
      and learn from these books that previously were only available in a
      library. This underscores the value of Google Print and the work
      we're undertaking with our library partners."

      > The Google Print program was introduced in the fall of 2004 to
      help users search through the oceans of information contained in the
      world's books and to help authors and publishers promote their books
      and expand their sales.
      > Google is working directly with publishers through the Google
      Print Publisher Program and libraries through the Google Print
      Library Project to digitize the world's books.

      > Users can visit http://print.google.com to search only the Google
      Print index for book results; however, the Google Print index is
      also integrated into Google.com web search results pages. As they
      can with web pages, users can search the full text of every book
      Google has scanned and, when they find a book that interests them,
      view a card catalog-like entry with brief excerpts of their search
      term in context. Users can only see more of any book they find if
      the book is out of copyright or if the publisher has given explicit
      permission to show full pages of a limited portion of the book.

      > About Google Inc.
      >
      > Google's innovative search technologies connect millions of people
      around the world with information every day. Founded in 1998 by
      Stanford Ph.D.
      > students Larry Page and Sergey Brin, Google today is a top web
      property in all major global markets. Google's targeted advertising
      program provides businesses of all sizes with measurable results,
      while enhancing the overall web experience for users. Google is
      headquartered in Silicon Valley with offices throughout the
      Americas, Europe and Asia. For more information, visit
      www.google.com.

      > Google is a registered trademark of Google Inc. All other company
      and product names may be trademarks of the respective companies with
      which they are associated.

      > SOURCE: Google Inc.
      >
      > --
      > Take care,