35660Re: Why Trans-Miss. ?

  • William H Keene
    Nov 3, 2005
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "William H Keene" <wh_keene@y...>
      wrote:

      > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "hank9174" <clarkc@m...> wrote:
      > > My guess is that total US forces west of the river topped out at
      > > 25,000, excluding such anomalies as Arkansas Post and the Red River
      > > campaign...
      >
      > Hank I think you are way off with this number. I think it was over
      twice that.

      Did some looking at data for early 1864. The Union forces in the
      transmissippi were from 4 departments -- Gulf, Arkansas, Missouri and
      Kansas. [There was a little bit from the Department of the Tennessee,
      but I wont count that for now; I will also leave out the small force in
      the upper midwest (Minnesota/Iowa)]. In March these Departments
      reported the following (rounded down to the nearest 1,000): Gulf --
      47,000; Arkansas -- 21,000; Missouri -- 15,000; Kansas -- 6,000. I
      would knock of close to 20,000 from the Gulf as garrisons at positions
      east of the river (New Orleans, Port Hudson, Baton Rouge, Pensacola,
      Key West). That still leaves almost 70,000 men. There was a decrease
      later in the year when the 19th Corps was sent to Virginia and other
      reductions from campainging, but it never got as low as you suggested.
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic