35137Re: [civilwarwest] The Colt

  • keeno2@aol.com
    Oct 1, 2005
      In a message dated 10/1/2005 11:12:58 PM Central Daylight Time, banbruner@... writes:
      I was referring to the main character, I think his name waw Rabb was that a Sharps?  Did sharps have a lever?
      The Sharps has a lever to jack open the breechblock. With just a brief glance, the two rifles are similar. I thought Rabb was using a Sharps but, like I said, I had only a glance as well. Historically, the Sharps carbine began to be issued to the US Cavalry shortly before Gettysburg. As this was in the Widerness, it is likely (if not probable) that they'd have had Sharps. However, some units did get Spencers. In one particular unit, Wilder's Blue Ligntning Brigade, Wilder personally armed his mounted infantry with Spencers.
      Ken
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic