33855Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Newt Gingrichs Triology

  • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
    Sep 6, 2005
      In a message dated 9/6/2005 9:53:08 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, rwwiv@... writes:
      you are right genrl, i was posting in the wrong
      group, but i am offended by the way the book portrys
      the war in the west but unless that is okay i willl
      let it rest.
      My post relating to talk on the Eastern theater, whether on books or not, I hope that it did not offend anyone.  My concern is the Western theater for I feel that it was crucial for the Union to win in that theater of operations, if the war was to be one.  Except for a few instances, the war in the East was mainly a war over the State of Virginia and Richmond.  But the CSA government could move from Richmond and it did.  In 1812, the US government did the same and fled the capitol.  But in the West, the CSA depended on so much of its existence from supplies and goods that the West provided.  Without that supply, the CSA government was doomed.  The majority of the CSA's rail transportation was in the West.  Without that system, the government was doomed.  What is ironic, the CSA had its best military leadership in the East and the Union had its best military leadership in the West.  Up to March 1864, that is one of the reasons that the Confederacy was so successful in the East and unsuccessful in the West.  In March, as you all know, is when Grant went East and then the Confederacy began losing in both theaters.  Rich McMurry covers this extremely well in his book, Two Great Rebel Armies.

      If I did offend anyone, I apologize.

      Your humble and obedient servant

      Gnrl J.E. Johnston
    • Show all 23 messages in this topic