      From: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com [mailto:civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com]
      On Behalf Of josepharose
      Sent: Monday, September 05, 2005 10:17 PM
      To: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [civilwarwest] Re: Logistics

      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, keeno2@a... wrote:
      > Thanks, Mark, for the heads-up on Moore's article.
      >
      > Given Grant's distaste for mathematics, I suspect he simply kept on
      his staff
      > people who could reliably do those calculations for him. His
      logistical
      > "talent" was likely in intuitively knowing what could work and what
      could not.

      As to Grant's mathematical/logistical skills, IIRC, he once ordered
      that a certain number of wagons carry a specified amount of
      ammunition. He had to be told that the weight of the ammo which he
      requested was much too much for each wagonload, and that the number of
      wagons would consequently have to be increased.

      Joseph

      > Of course, when planning a move, he was not exactly starting from
      scratch.
      > Where his armies were parked at any given moment were gathering
      points for
      > supplies. To move any part of his army would be to move
      transportation to that part
      > involved. To move all of his army would involve the gathering of extra

      > wagons, horses, et al.
      >
      > As Moore pointed out, the speed of the march and the front it covered
      > dictated the availability of foraged sustenance. The factors boggle.
      Bring in that
      > genius Colonel. Tell him we're moving yesterday and I want the
      wherewithal to be
      > ready the day before that.
      >
      > Thanks again.
      > Ken