33844Re: [civilwarwest] Re: partially OT - Army of the West vs. Army of the East

  • hooperjwboro@comcast.net
    Sep 6, 2005
      Greetings Hank, I will throw these facts in the equation.

      _AoNV also defended their Capital[ a real discussion on importance and outcome of capturing enemy capital ] but that is an Eastern argument.
      _ Also their were western units in the AoNV
      _I believe the biggest problem the Western Confederate forces faced was the lack of a concentrated defence of all forces early. e.g.  Bragg's numbers loss to Vicksburg and Cavalry spread. Interesting to debate the South giving up one of the river systems and the Union responce.
      --
      Respectfully,
      John Hooper

      Part of the mission of the AotP was defensive - the defense of
      Washington. The western armies had no 'defense' in their missions.

      The eastern US army leaders were frequently looking over their
      shoulders to the safety of the nation's capital...

      HankC

      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Mix" <tmix@i...> wrote:
      > I do not recall where I read it but I did read once where
      Longstreet's
      > men commented on what they viewed as more "fierceness" in the West.
      > That resolve struck them as a bit more pronounced in the West.
      Right or