33830Re: partially OT - Army of the West vs. Army of the East

  • josepharose
    Sep 5, 2005
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Gower" <billgower@c...> wrote:
      > I am reading "The Battles for Spotsylvania Court House and The Road to
      > Yellow Tavern" by Gordon Rhea. In the intro, he talks about Grant
      having to
      > adjust his tactics somewhat to fit the style of the AOP. I can see
      one big
      > difference between the armies in the west vs. the east, the armies
      in the
      > west were psychologically used to winning and did not feel inferior
      to the
      > Rebel army. How else was the army of the west different from the
      army in
      > the east? Certainly history of leadership was a big factor. What else?
      >

      > Bill

      I also was looking at that book recently and, IIRC, Rhea stated that a
      major difference between the two was the presence of geographical
      obstacles in the East compared to the West.

      I would submit that, aside from the Union control of the sea, the AotP
      had a much more difficult route than the AotT [1862-3], which could
      very effectively use the major rivers running north and south. The
      AotC at this time may have had it worse than either of the two others;
      the rivers ran across their direction of advance, the territory was
      much rougher, and the waterways were much less advantageous--and often
      were a positive hindrance--to the Union's forces.

      Joseph
    • Show all 23 messages in this topic