      From: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com [mailto:civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Bill Gower
      Sent:
      Monday, September 05, 2005 3:55 PM
      To: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [civilwarwest] partially OT - Army of the West vs. Army of the East

      I am reading “The Battles for Spotsylvania Court House and The Road to Yellow Tavern” by Gordon Rhea.  In the intro, he talks about Grant having to adjust his tactics somewhat to fit the style of the AOP.  I can see one big difference between the armies in the west vs. the east, the armies in the west were psychologically used to winning and did not feel inferior to the Rebel army.  How else was the army of the west different from the army in the east?  Certainly history of leadership was a big factor.  What else?

      Bill

    • Show all 23 messages in this topic