31829Re: [civilwarwest] Attrocities.......(Question)

  • Rick Moody
    Jul 1, 2005
      Thank You Dick,

      I was in the process of reading the document you
      refered to. Your site is the best overall site on the
      web. You have more of what "really" matters than
      anyone else. You should have some affiliate programs
      going. I will use them if you put some up.

      I was trying to determine the cause for the end of
      prisoner exchanges. I was/am of the opinion that
      Grant wanted it stopped, however, some sites say that
      it was Lincoln who stopped it. I was also trying to
      get in my mind a proper time line for Shermans
      involvement in the investigation. Since Sherman would
      later demand that they "bankrupt the treasury" if that
      is what it took to kill/stop Forrest.

      During my bootcamp we were told, because you wear the
      uniform you should expect "No Quarter" and if you
      surrender you are on your own. If your captor chooses
      to abide by the Geneva Convention then your lucky.

      The North has never forgiven Forrest and the South has
      never forgiven Sherman. That is War.

      Grant said
      "I am not egotist enough to suppose all this
      significance should be given because I was the object
      of it. But the war between the States was a very
      bloody and a very costly war. One side or the other
      had to yield principles they deemed dearer than life
      before it could be brought to an end."

      Rick Moody

      http://www.civilwarhome.com/forrestcorrespondence.htm

      > The bottom line is that you can love him or hate him
      > but you can't take away
      > his military skills and his love of his men. At
      > Fort Donelson, when he
      > found out they were going to surrender, he basically
      > said that he did not
      > bring his command there to surrender. He was
      > leaving and anyone who wanted
      > to go with him was welcome. When he left, virtually
      > every man in his
      > command was riding double. If we are going to try
      > him in the court of
      > modern day opinion I certainly hope we are not going
      > to try him alone.
      > There are plenty of "atrocities" to go around on
      > both sides. Personally I
      > had rather look at his military record and let it
      > stand at that. Just my
      > opinion of course.
      >
      > I am, very respectfully, your obedient servant,
      > Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
      > http://www.civilwarhome.com

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Show all 19 messages in this topic