      Sent: Friday, July 01, 2005 8:10 AM
      Subject: Re: [civilwarwest] NBF

      In a message dated 7/1/2005 1:36:13 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, tmix@... writes:
      He grew as a person and that was not easy to do in that
      time and place.  The man he became after the war is light years removed
      from the one of the war and prior to the war. Plus he was a great
      General and that cannot be denied.
      For this thread I am changing the Subject line to NBF for that is whom we are talking about.
      Tom is correct, NBF was a great Confederate general.  His tactics and maneuvers are still studied as a positive way to do things at West Point, VMI, the Citadel and other prominent military learning institutions.  As far as Ft Pillow is concerned, whether he gave the order or not, the action of no quarter given was common amongst military actions within that period of time.  Remember Santa Anna at the Alamo some twenty years earlier.
      As far as prisoners being shot, both sides of the conflict were guilty of that.  What made NBF's actions at Ft Pillow more sensationalized, was that those that were shot, were primarily Black.  If the troops at Ft Pillow had been all White, the action would have been noted but not publicized or criticized like it has been.
      This is only my opinion and as our Steve says, and then too I could be wrong.
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic