31305Re: [civilwarwest] Arrests at Shiloh

  • DPowell334@AOL.COM
    Jun 1, 2005
      In a message dated 6/1/2005 12:17:12 AM Central Daylight Time, jayhawker61@... writes:

      I Think MacArthur came famous during the charge on Missionary Ridge during the battle of Chattanooga. If my memory is correct, he was one of the flag carriers that kept moving forward while the rest of the infantry stopped. I may be wrong but that is what I remember. Anyway interesting find to the addition to the history of the Battle of Shiloh.

      Different McArthurs.

      John McArthur was the brigade commander at Shiloh. Originally a Scotsman, he led a division through much of the next year or so.

      Arthur McArthur was the young Major from the 24th Wisconsin that won fame (and a medol of honor, IIRC) leading his men up the slopes of Missionary Ridge.

      Dave Powell
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic