31135Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Union Artillery -- 32 pounders at Chatt

  • George Hall
    May 3, 2005
      JEG: This reply makes great sense. Thanks for the input!
      Here's another quote from the same infantry Sgt. at Chattanooga. Maybe you and/or others can shed some light on these comments?::
            "Our 32 pounders hammered away at them all night, but for what reason I am unable to say. The enemy must have been making some move or they would not have shelled them so. I woke up several times during the night and every time I could hear an old "P____boom" -- and in about 15 seconds an old 32 pound shell would burst over in rebeldom about 4 miles off, but it could easily be heard here as the night was very still. The enemy did not reply to our pieces -- dare not if they ever felt so disposed, as our pieces should soon have rasied their "bacon" if they had let them know where their pieces were. There is no firing today....Old General Rosecrans has left us..."
         George Hall

      GnrlJEJohnston@... wrote:
      In a message dated 5/3/2005 8:37:08 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, preachergeorgewv@... writes:
      shot grape and canister (grape is fired 60 at a time, they are about as big as a small hen egg) [I ran] and canister is musket balls put up in cans as big as you put up fruit in (hold perhaps 200). And after we got close enough they let in on us with their rifles but no stop. On we went."
      Once again, the definition of terminolgy differs.  What the Sergeant calls "grape" is more like what we know today would be cannister.  As JFE states, his cannister relic is close to being the size of a golf ball, which would equate to a small hen egg.  What he describes as cannister, would in reality equate with case shot which were about the size of a marble, or musket ball.

      JEJ

      http://mail.yahoo.com

    • Show all 2 messages in this topic