30385Re: Orders to occupy Paducah

  • josepharose
    Mar 31, 2005
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "carlw4514" <carlw4514@y...> wrote:
      > Yet, there's no question that Polk beat the Federals into Kentucky,
      > correct?

      Of course, that's what started this whole affair. As to the question
      of whether Grant was correct in claiming his movement's "anticipating
      the enemy by probably not over six or eight hours," he apparently
      wasn't. Grant thought the enemy was some 16 miles away (or about 6-8
      hours of marching). It appears that the enemy was not advancing on
      Paducah and Grant should have know about it by the time he wrote his

      > > P.S. Grant may also have been wrong about how closely he beat the
      > > Rebels to Paducah, as I don't think that their arrival was nearly
      > > imminent.
    • Show all 121 messages in this topic