29482Re: great books

  • aot1952
    Dec 3, 2004
      WOW-- these two folks sure prove why they ake so many flavors of ice
      cream. Their opinions certainly are valid. However I got to say I
      sure did not consider the book 'hero-worship' and in fact I felt it
      was rather critical of Stonewall. I finished the book with a much
      lower opinion of Jackson than I had been previously given by
      Henderson, Freeman and so many others.
      As far as the failure to provide an 'evaluation' of Jacksons
      military career, I personally took a different take. I appreciated
      it, I felt that Robertson presented the facts and let the reader
      draw his conclusions. I liked that approach and I wish more authors
      would let the reader do their own thinking-- HOWEVER like I said
      that is why we do have so many flavors of ice cream and I certainly
      respect other's disagreement with me. After all I DID say I could be
      all wrong...
      Wakefield
      > Put me in the "Dave" column with regards to Robertson's book. Dave
      > correctly refers to it as "hero worship" and I have often termed
      it a
      > literary, er, um, geez, I don't know if I can get this one past the
      > monitors.
      >

      > Harry

      Station last
      > June in Virginia.
      >
      > Hope all is well.
      >

      > I gotta disagree.
      >
      > I think it fine that Robertson did such a massive amount of work,
      but I
      > think he failed in one key aspect - I think Robertson himself has
      admitted
      > that he did not analyze Jackson's military skills and career that
      much,
      > because he (Robertson) was not a professional soldier. Instead, he
      focused
      > on Jackson as a person.
      >
      > To me, the one thing that made Jackson famous, an historical
      celebrity, as
      > it were, was his military performance. Beyond that, you have a
      religious,
      > mildly eccentric former soldier and math professor.
      >
      > Robertson, in ducking the hard questions of Jackson's military
      skills,
      > failed a critical task of the biographer. While I thought the book
      was
      > richly detailed, it doesn't really go beyond hero-worship to me.
      >
      > Dave Powell
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129691c1f/M=298184.5639630.6699735.30011
      76/D=gr

      oups/S=1705126278:HM/EXP=1102159177/A=2434971/R=0/SIG=11eeoolb0/*http
      :/www.n
      > etflix.com/Default?mqso=60185400> click here
      >

      > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
      M=298184.5639630.6699735.3001176/D=groups/S=
      > :HM/A=2434971/rand=903830780>
      >

      > _____
      >
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      subject=Unsubscribe>