29476Re: Holidays

  • b_schulte70
    Dec 2, 2004
      I love these kinds of threads, if only to find some new stuff myself
      while giving out the stuff I've liked in the past. Here's my list of
      some favorites for the West (prices are from amazon.com, although I
      do most of my shopping at www.abebooks.com, www.alibris.com, and
      www.half.com):

      Ninety-Eight Days: A Geographer's View of the Vicksburg Campaign
      687 pp., $41.28
      by Warren E. Grabau
      Comment: As the title states, this one takes a look at the Vicksburg
      Campaign from the view of a geographer, specifically Grabau. The
      maps are numerous and well-done. I highly recommend this one.

      The Vicksburg Campaign: Vicksburg is the Key Vol. 1
      769 pp., $42.50
      The Vicksburg Campaign: Grant Strikes a Fatal Blow Vol. 2
      689 pp., $42.50
      The Vicksburg Campaign: Unvexed To The Sea Vol. 3
      761 pp., $42.50
      by Edwin Cole Bearss
      Comment: If you want to know about the Vicksburg Campaign, buy this
      set. It's expensive, but it was definitely worth it for me.

      This Terrible Sound: The Battle of Chickamauga
      675 pp., $26.37
      No Better Place to Die: The Battle of Stones River
      281 pp., $19.77
      The Shipwreck of Their Hopes: The Battles for Chattanooga
      515 pp., $13.57
      The Darkest Days of the War: The Battles of Iuka & Corinth
      389 pp., $29.70
      Comment: Cozzens is one of the best there is, and these four books
      were all essential additions to my collection.

      Perryville: This Grand Havoc of Battle
      494 pp., $23.10
      by Kenneth W. Noe
      Comment: This is generally considered the best account of Perryville
      available, though Hafendorfer's book is good too.

      Shiloh: The Battle That Changed the Civil War
      430 pp., OOP in hardcover
      by Larry J. Daniel
      Comment: Although Sword's book is good too, I prefer Daniel's account
      of Shiloh.

      Embattled Arkansas: The Prairie Grove Campaign of 1862
      580 pp., OOP in HC
      by Michael E. Banasik
      Comment: I haven't read this yet, but everything I've heard points to
      this being an excellent account of Prairie Grove, including the
      entire Campaign.

      Decision in the West: The Atlanta Campaign of 1864
      688 pp., OOP in HC
      by Albert E. Castel
      Commment: The best account of the Campaign, but I'd eventually like
      to see a multi-volume treatment similar to Bearss' Vicksburg Campaign.

      Sherman's Horsemen: Union Cavalry Operations in the Atlanta Campaign
      645 pp., OOP in HC
      by David Evans
      Comment: I had this sitting on one of my bookshelves for a few years
      when the members of this group heartily endorsed it. I couldn't
      agree more. I am not a huge fan of Cavalry raids, but Evans keeps
      things interesting throughout. I'm almost finished reading the book
      and I should have a review and summary up on the board within the
      next few weeks.

      That's about it off the top of my head, although I'm sure I'm missing
      a few others I'd highly recommend (I'm at work).

      Brett S.

      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "The Coys" <thecoys@k...> wrote:
      > Ok....the holidays are upon us. I am being asked what books I want
      (need). My answer is "all of them" but I'm not being taken seriously
      for some reason. :) Anyway, I need to narrow my list down some so
      I'm coming to all of you. What books are you asking for and/or what
      books are needed in your library? What do you all recommend?

      > Thanks,
      > Kevin
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic