29475Re: great books

  • aot1952
    Dec 2, 2004
      Mr. Mix-
      It is just my opinion, but I think by far and away the best CW
      biography to come out the last few years is Robertson's "Stonewall
      Jackson". It is exhaustively researched, well written, breaks a lot
      of new ground and dispels a lot of myths. I saw it is now out in
      paperback.
      I am not a big 'Stonewall' fan and certainly not a 'the war began
      and ended with Virginia believer'. But for me I can not think of a
      CW biography in the last 15 years that even approachs the over-all
      quality and value of this work.

      I could of course be all wrong-
      Wakefield

      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Mix" <tmix@i...> wrote:
      > Since we are on the subject of books, how about some of the best
      > biographies out there? East or West.
      >

      > I like Edward Longacre's bio on John Buford and "The Confederacy's
      > Greatest Cavalryman Nathan Bedford Forrest by Brian Steel Wills.
      >

      > Got some other ideas out there?
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic