28951Re: [civilwarwest] JEJ and the Atlanta Campaign

  • Rick Moody
    Oct 4, 2004
      There is no bias in the truth.

      "...Of the siege of Petersburg, I have only time to
      say that in it
      for nine months the Confederate commander displayed
      every art by which genius and courage can make good
      the lack of numbers and resources.
      But the increasing misfortunes of the Confederate arms
      on other theatres of the war gradually cut off the
      supply of men and means. The Army of Northern
      Virginia ceased to be recruited, it ceased to be
      adequately fed. It lived for months on less than
      one-third rations. It was demoralised, not by the
      enemy in its front, but by the enemy in Georgia and
      the Carolinas. - Colonel Archer Anderson

      Rick Moody

      --- GnrlJEJohnston@... wrote:

      > Daylight Time,
      > r_moody@... writes:
      > General Sherman estimated, with the use of spy's,
      > that
      > Joe Johnston had forty to sixty thousand men
      > entrenched at Dalton. Sherman had one hundred
      > thousand. These numbers do not allow Johnston any
      > other choice. He must fight a defensive campaign or
      > risk loosing his supply lines.
      >
      > I agree whole heartily with this assessment Rick.
      >
      > No, I���m just saying that Joe new of his weaknesses
      > and also knew how to best
      > work around them to gain the most practical and
      > positive results. A full blown
      > offensive against Sherman was probably out of the
      > question but a limited one
      > may have been in order and I believe he did make a
      > few offensive thrusts. But
      > Joe needed to use his army in more of a defensive
      > mode, much as Lee would in
      > 1864-65. Thus preserving his army, rebuilding moral
      > and attempting to ���bleed��?
      > Sherman.
      > Tom
      > I also agree with Tom. Take a look at the amount of
      > casualties the Union had
      > between May 5th and when Hood assumed command.
      > Sherman made advancements,
      > but he did so at a great price. As I have said many
      > times, JEJ knew that
      > territory could be regained, but when one of his
      > troops was killed or wounded, the
      > possibility of replacement was very difficult. New
      > Hope Church, Cassville, and
      > Kennesaw did bleed Sherman. If JEJ lost his supply
      > line as a result of
      > Sherman's flanking movements, the AOT would have
      > been lost. JEJ knew that he could
      > not defeat Sherman, but he knew that he could slow
      > him down and have Sherman
      > pay a big price for the territory that he did gain.
      > But once again, my screen
      > name tells of my bias.
      >
      > Best Regards
      > JEJ
      >
      > "I have realized in our country that one class of
      > men makes war and leaves another to fight it out."
      > - William T. Sherman

      =====
      Rick Moody
      r_moody@...

      General Grant upon meeting Robert E. Lee for the first time at Appomattox Court House.
      "I felt like anything rather than rejoicing at the downfall of a foe who had fought so long and valiantly, and had suffered so much for a cause, though that cause was, I believe, one of the worst for which a people ever fought, and one for which there was the least excuse."

      "Whatever enables us to go to war, secures our peace." --Thomas Jefferson

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • Show all 26 messages in this topic