28931Re: JEJ and the Atlanta Campaign

  • tlind1@yahoo.com
    Oct 4, 2004
      While I have the utmost respect for Joe Johnston and think he was
      one of the more capable commanders, he always had a bad habit of
      claiming not too have enough men and falling back. In the penisular
      campaign in the East, he constantly was falling back retreating and
      I believe he was at the point with Jefferson Davis of being replaced
      before his wounding and Robert E. Lee taking over.

      Lee on the other hand was able to stand his ground and make due with
      what he had, pulling off risky moves like bringing Jackson from the
      valley in defense of Richmond.

      When I read of Johnston retreating in face of Sherman in the Atlanta
      campaign, it is almost identical to his retreat in the penisular
      campaign outside of Richmond.

      I don't think he was a coward,it just seemed the make up of his
      style of commanding.

      I am one who believes that if left in command in either situation,
      Johnston would never had made an offensive effort no matter what he
      said he intended to do.

      Just my opinion though.

      Kindest Regards,
      Tracey
      http://aotn.homestead.com

      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "William Gower"
      <billgower@c...> wrote:
      > So are you saying that in 1864 the AOT ceased to be capable of
      being an
      > offensive army and for the rest of the war could only be on the
      defense?

      > _____

      <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129a0c34k/M=295196.4901138.6071305.30011
      76/D=gr

      oups/S=1705126278:HM/EXP=1097000709/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http
      :/compa
      > nion.yahoo.com> click here
      >

      > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
      M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=groups/S=
      > :HM/A=2128215/rand=787166719>
      >

      > _____
      >
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      subject=Unsubscribe>