28930RE: [civilwarwest] JEJ and the Atlanta Campaign

  • William Gower
    Oct 4, 2004

      So are you saying that in 1864 the AOT ceased to be capable of being an offensive army and for the rest of the war could only be on the defense?

      From: Tom Mix [mailto:tmix@...]
      Sent: Monday, October 04, 2004 2:25 PM
      To: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [civilwarwest] JEJ and the Atlanta Campaign

      In conjunction with what Lee wrote, the AOT was an experienced army as well and I would not go so far as to compare Joe with Mac. Mac refused to fight even with superior odds while Joe understood his situation more realistically and took the needed actions to slow Sherman while maintaining his army. An offensive, a’la Hood, may have destroyed the AOT sooner than at Franklin.

      Tom