28387Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Confeds to the west=>Longstreet at Chattanooga

  • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
    Sep 2 9:42 AM
      In a message dated 9/2/2004 12:14:10 PM Eastern Standard Time, meheath@... writes:
      Also, was Longstreet not somewhat slow in racing Burnside from southeastern
      Tenn to the walls of Knoxville, where Burnside, of all people, successfully
      held off Longstreet for a short siege?  After which, L went to ground in Tenn
      over the winter before returning to Va.

      His performance at Chickamauga in Sept had been exemplary, I think, but
      it appears that his unhappiness with Bragg led him into dispirited
      performances in the West thereafter.

      As for Knoxville, the terrain and weather had quite a bit to do with the time it took Longstreet to get to Knoxville.  If you ever have tried to walk on red clay while it was wet, you would understand what I mean.  It is slippier than goose grease and more difficult to keep one's balance.  We drive the I-75 route now for the 125 miles between Chattanooga and Knoxville, and think nothing of the rolling hills.  Sorry, but that was not how it was back in 1863.  With the rains that they had, the Duck river was not something you could walk across.
      Upon confronting Burnside, you can be sure his men were exhausted.

      Longstreet was, bar none, one of the best generals the South had.  Was he in the same class as Lee.  I doubt it, but he sure in blue blazes was alot better than most.  Like Lee, JEJ, and a few more commanders, Longstreet was a soldiers general.  One that they respected and would follow him because of his excellent leadership, rather than because of his authority.

      Just my own personal opinion.

      JEJ
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic