28038Re: Chickamauga park events

  • Art Bagley
    Aug 1, 2004
      Hello George, Dave, and All...

      Managed to revisit Chickamauga a couple weeks ago on my second
      western theater tour (first one was back in 2000).

      Focused on Florida troops plus Sgt. Richard Kirkland of the 2nd
      South Carolina in Kershaw's brigade. With his famous Fredericksburg
      VA statue, I figured Kirkland would have, to some degree, been
      recognized out west when Longstreet's corps was "loaned" by RELee.
      Anyhow, the rangers @ Chickamauga didn't seem to know why there was
      so little interest in following up the career of "The Angel of
      Marye's Heights;" the 2nd SC marker is so small and insignificant
      over on Snodgrass Hill/Horseshoe Ridge, it's almost pitiful -- in
      addition to no mention of Kirkland.

      Until I followed all the plaques and markers for Stovall's and
      Trigg's brigades, I was unaware of how far the Florida troops fought
      forward, how instrumental they were in damaging the Union lines in
      the late afternoon, and how close they came to bagging a large
      segment of the Union forces that held on nearer dark.

      Also made it to Missionary Ridge, Lookout Mountain, Orchard Knob,
      Kennesaw Mountain, Pickett's Mill, and Irwinville [Jeff'n. Davis
      capture site -- but it was closed on Tuesday July 6 since it had
      been open on July 4 & 5].

      Just might have to convince my ACW travelling buddy to head west
      again next summer and meet up with y'all in Vicksburg, which we've
      not visited. Sounds great!

      Art "Sunshine State" B.
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic