27746Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Questions on Shiloh

  • John Beatty
    Jun 3, 2004
      >In otherwords, the battle of Shiloh was in a sense, a
      mass raiding attack to destroy the enemy, gather as
      much spoils of war that you could, and then get back
      to your main base at Corinth.

      Then why wasn't this stated _before_ the attack? Why
      were there not empty wagons or any other provision
      made for carrying back these "spoils?" Why was there
      no plan for a return march? Why was Knoxville stated
      _twice_ in planning as the goal of the offensive? And
      how, exactly, was a "raid" going to destroy Buell on
      the eastern side of the Tennessee, as Johnston stated
      he wanted to do after he dealt with Grant?

      >I can see this since Shiloh did not contain any
      strategic importance.

      As the closest the Tennesee River gets to Corinth and
      the crucial rail junctions joining two halves of the
      Confederacy together, Pittsburg Landing and Crump's
      Landing had more strategic importance than any other
      point in middle Tennessee.

      =====
      John D. Beatty, Milwaukee Wisconsin
      AMCIVWAR.COM/AMCIVWAR.NET