      From: SDE80@... [mailto:SDE80@...]
      Sent: Monday, May 10, 2004 12:18 PM
      To: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [civilwarwest] Re: 52nd GA, Barton's/Stovall's Brigade

      In a message dated 5/10/2004 1:11:32 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tmix@... writes:

      It sounds like you may be looking at a new book project. Is this something we can look forward to in the future? I’m always looking for another good book on Missionary Ridge and would look forward to anything you may be putting together.

      Thanks, Tom.  Too early to tell.  I'm doing something, but whether it develops into a book, an article, or a dead end, hard to tell.   The problem with western subjects is marketability, but then they have the virtue of not being the subject of micro-scrutiny like what happened in any given square foot of Gettysburg.

      The fighting on the southern end of the Ridge (Stewart vs. part of Sheridan, Johnson, Geary, Cruft and Osterhaus) has been underreported, because it has only been the last 6-8 years that it was known that Stewart's Divsion reports survived.   Right now I'm in the mode of figuring out what unit fought where on Missionary Ridge, which is convenient since I live in Chattanooga.   The Confederate markers, probably because the Stewart reports disappeared for a while, are somewhat incorrect, and probably a little out of place.

      Sam Elliott

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic