27377Re: Sherman, US Census, and Providential Knowledge

  • hank9174
    Apr 30, 2004
      What does the author say are the ways the census helped Sherman?

      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Brown"
      <william.h.brown@n...> wrote:
      > Greetings.
      > I am in the process of reviewing a book that has made a
      statement noting General Sherman's superb knowledge of the
      landscape of both Georgia and South Carolina. This author, as well as
      others, have noted Sherman's "providential" (Sherman's quote)
      knowledge of the landscape, due to being stationed in the South in
      the 1840's. Another work referred to Sherman's knowledge of various
      schedules of the US Census for Georgia and South Carolina, and this
      knowledge aided him in planning of the Atlanta Campaign, March to the
      Sea (Savannah Campaign of 1864), and the Carolinas Campaign. Yet,
      the reference for these remarks go back to Sherman's statements to
      his wife (one reference is to a letter dated January 15, 1865 to
      Ellen Sherman). These questions come to mind...
      > (A) Did Sherman know the US Census that well (when did he have time
      to read it)?
      > (B) Is there other sources (primary) that refer to Sherman's use of
      the census or prior knowledge in operational planning? (In other
      words, did this knowledge affect tactical movements or was it "Me
      take Atlanta, make Grant happy.")
      > (C) (Your Opinion) Is this story another one where Sherman was
      boasting about himself, and was taken to justify the inability of the
      Confederacy to deal with his invasion of the Carolinas?
      > Sorry of the lengthy post, but do welcome other's thoughts on this
      > Regards,
      > Bill
      > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      > "There are no bad regiments, there are only bad officers."
      > Field Marshall Lord William (Bill) Slim
      > William H. (Bill) Brown
      > Editor II, Governors' Documentaries
      > william.h.brown@n...
      > Historical Publications Section (Office of Archives and History)
      > http://www.ncpublications.com/
      > "Opinions expressed in this message may not represent the policy of
      my agency &
      > E-Mail to and from me, in connection with the transaction of
      public business,
      > is subject to the North Carolina Public Records Law and may be
      disclosed to third parties."
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic