26916Re: [civilwarwest] Daniel's new book "Days of Glory: The Army of the Cumberla...

  • DORR64OVI@aol.com
    Apr 2, 2004
      In a message dated 4/2/2004 9:15:48 PM Eastern Standard Time, thecoys@... writes:

      I am anxiously awaiting the release of Larry J. Daniel's new book, "Days
      of Glory: The Army of the Cumberland, 1861-1865". While looking at the
      synopsis at Amazon I noticed this line, "He offers a fresh
      interpretation of General George H. Thomas as a flawed character who did
      not mature until late 1863...."  What do you all think is meant by this?

      Kevin S. Coy

      That is a curious statement and unfortunately words like "flawed" and "not mature" can be subject to pretty broad interpretation.  Larry Daniels is a good author and I will be most interested to see what he has to say about the AotC and "Old Pap".
         If by "not mature until late 1863", he means Thomas found himself after Chickamauga, I would agree.  The point being that after faithfully serving Buell and Rosecrans, Thomas's time had come and he had earned the right to command. The "flaw" Im guessing Daniels brings forth is that unlike many of his fellow senior officers, Thomas was not a political player or promoter of his own career.   Rather, he deeply believed that the Army system would reward its officers based on performance and duty (and seniority).  As he would learn, being a miltary "company man" would not always bring forth the results he would wish for or expect.
         I await the book's publication.

      Kent Dorr
    • Show all 38 messages in this topic