25568Re: Actions around Corinth, May 28, 1862

  • William H Keene
    Feb 9, 2004
      After doing a little aditional research I want to add to my reply.

      On page 33 of Volume 52, part1, of the Official Records (this volume
      contains material collected to late to appear in the regular volumes)
      is Cleburne's report. This indicates that Cleburne may have been
      more to the Confederate right facing Pope's army near Farmington.

      On page 36 of the same volume is the report of Col Moore of the 8th
      TN. From the context of his report I think he was part of the same
      action as the 16th TN as they were both part of the same brigade
      under Gen. Donelson.

      Also, I should note that the Union advance in the center was not just
      by Nelson's division but also by McCook and Crittenden.

      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Todd Knight"
      <rayknight@c...> wrote:
      > Thanks for the reply. That answered my question
      >

      > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "William H Keene"
      <wh_keene@y...>
      > wrote:
      > > There was a number of skirmishes and actions involved in
      the 'seige'
      > > of Corinth. The units you mention were each from different
      Corps --
      > > Cleburne's Bgde was part of Hardee's, Orphan Bgde was part of
      > > Breckinridge's, and 16th TN was part of Polk's -- so its
      unlikely
      > > they were fighting along side each other.
      > >
      > > Beauregard decided he was going to evacuate Corinth after his
      planned
      > > counterattack on May 26 was called off because of Van Dorn's
      > > bungling. He needed to hold the enemy back until he could move
      out
      > > the supplies, sick, etc, so he needed to keep a strong front to
      the
      > > enemy for a few days. Coincidentally, Halleck gave an order for
      > > general advance of US forces to occur on May 28. The result was
      > > action at a number of places along the line. On the Union right
      > > Sherman maneuvered 5 brigades to seize a fortified block house.
      In
      > > the center Nelson's Division pushed forward with heavy
      skirmishing.
      > > Cleburne was probably facing Nelson. The 16th TN may have been
      on
      > > Sherman's right since I have seen a house marked Chambers in that
      > > area on one map.
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic