25546Re: [civilwarwest] Actions around Corinth, May 28, 1862

  • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
    Feb 6, 2004
      In a message dated 2/6/2004 12:44:47 AM Eastern Standard Time, rayknight@... writes:
      I recently read a thread on an Arkansas Civil War board concerning
      Cleburne's Brigade and it's actions covering the retreat from Corinth
      on May 28, 1862 known as " the Shelton House engagement".
      I've also recently read the Civil War Diary of James J Womack, captain
      of Company E, 16th TN Infantry. In it he refers to an engagement on
      May 28, 1862 while covering the retreat from Corinth, around the
      "Chambers House", in which a relative of mine was killed. the diary of
      Thomas Hoooper, Co A, 16th TN also refers to the engagement around the
      Chambers House.
      I cannot find anything about an engagement at the Chamber's House or the
      Shelton House.   The only house I can find mention of is the Russel House which Sherman attacked on his way to Corinth.  On the 28th of May, Confederate troops were still in force in Corinth, however on that date, they had sent the last of the sick and wounded off in trains.  They began their evacuation march at ten o'clock in the evening on the 29th of May.  (Source:  Sherman and His Campaigns, Bowman, 1865).  It was Gnrl M.L. Smith that was ordered by Sherman to follow the retreating Confederates on the Ripley Road.  He followed them to the Tuscumbia River.  In the Confederates withdrawl,  they did not relieve the pickets and when they were captured in the morning by Federal troops, they had no idea that their army had withdrawn. (Ibid).
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic