24464Re: [civilwarwest] NEW THREAD... Who was the most under rated leader of the C...

  • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
    Jan 2, 2004
      In a message dated 1/1/2004 9:41:18 PM Eastern Standard Time, DPowell334@... writes:
      I know little of his post war career, except that he was on the board of Visitors at West Point, and is indeed buried there. I have a great deal of correspondence between him and Emerson Opdyke relating to his defense of his actions at Chickamauga, all of it very interesting in a CYA kinda way.
      He was active in Officers of the Commandery-In-Chief as Vice Commander for Ohio between 1889 -1893.  Wood testified before the House of Representatives on January 28, 1867, about his experiences as Military Commander of the “Department” of Missisisipi, and about conditions there during the Reconstruction.  Other than that, not too much is found.

      JEJ.
    • Show all 19 messages in this topic