      Sent: Thursday, January 01, 2004 6:50 AM
      Subject: Re: [civilwarwest] Re: ..... - Presidents

      In a message dated 12/31/2003 3:11:54 AM Eastern Standard Time, nkitav@... writes:
      Linclon served, briefly, in the Blackhawk War, but as far as I can determine
      saw no combat. Still, he wore the uniform, and was willing to do so.

      Jim
      Lincoln was a Captain of a bunch of volunteers.  He and his men marched from Salem, Illinois northward into Wisconsin but got as far as Lake Geneva when they received word that the war was over and their services were not needed.  Degrudgenly, they turned around and marched back to Salem.

      JEJ

      PS  Ironically, a statue of Blackhawk on the Rock River below Rockford is larger than any statue of a Civil War leader.

      Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Show all 36 messages in this topic