23653Re: Duty

  • carlw4514
    Nov 2, 2003
      conveniently, the below excellent article addresses this issue in
      decisions made in '63. It was not just the CS generals who needed to
      avoid Pyrrhic victories -- in the forbidden zone, unfortunately

      http://www.washtimes.com/civilwar/20031031-074333-9828r.htm

      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Peters"
      [...]
      > As with many of the CSA commanders, Pyrrhus also didn't know when
      not
      > to fight. His campaign, against the Romans, saw him destroy two
      > armies at Heraclea and Asculum, but suffered heavy losses in return.

      > This, reputedly, led him to say, "one more such victory and I am
      > lost". As indeed he was.
      >
      > His first duty was to keep his army as an occupying force, not one
      > eventually destroyed by needless heroics. Just as, less numerous
      CSA
      > forces had to be preserved to fight a war of attrition, rather than
      > winning costly (but in real terms) meaningless battles.
      >
      > Mark
    • Show all 150 messages in this topic