      From: james2044
      Sent: Wednesday, October 08, 2003 7:56 PM
      Subject: [civilwarwest] Re: Longstreet, the AoT, Bragg & Davis

      > Just for the record on this, the idea to send Longstreet to get
      Burnside was
      > Davis' and Lee's.  Lee wanted Longstreet back, and Davis was
      trying to
      > accommodate him.

      Lee;

      I can't find a reference for this but my understanding is this:

      1) Lee didn't want Longstreet sitting on his duff.  Horn uses the
      term "barren victories" as something Lee was warning against.

      2) Davis wanted a blow struck.  He had a childish faith that w/o
      resources battlefield victory could be attained.

      3) Bragg was having real problems in Chattanooga and Longstreet
      wasn't silent about them.

      4) Everyone seems to have had an intrest in Burnside about this time.

      IMO, Bragg knowing he couldn't get rid of Longstreet, needing to
      keep Davis happy and wanting to remove the most logical replacement
      for him, it's a no brainer.

      James2044