22593Re: General George H. Thomas

  • aldrichr@dsmo.com
    Dec 6, 2000
      --- In civilwarwest@egroups.com, "Brad Schall" <bradschall@h...>
      wrote:
      > David;
      > Thank you for your website on George Thomas. In San Francisco
      there was a
      > Thomas GAR post along with the GAR memorial in the National Cemetery
      > deciated by the Thomas GAR post. My unit does Memorial day
      services in that
      > GAR post honor.
      > Great website.
      > Brad Schall

      My subjective take on Thomas, based on what little I have read (mostly
      Buell's "Warrior Generals") is that he was a perfectionist, and his
      perfectionist style clashed with Grant's "just do it" style. Who was
      right from a military perspective? I'm not really qualified to say.
      Regardless, Grant was under tremendous political pressure on both
      occasions when he clashed with Thomas - first, the minor clash in the
      Chattanooga campaign, and second, the major clash over the Nashville
      campaign. Come to think of it, when was Grant NOT under tremendous
      political pressure? But in this theater, the Washington leadership
      was extremely nervous about having a Confederate army on the loose in
      Tennessee. All the careful planning that marks Thomas as a pioneer
      of modern military methods inevitably took time. The Washington
      leadership, whether correctly or not, felt that time was not on their
      side. IMO, Thomas' deliberate approach to preparing his army for
      battle could not have been better designed to remind the federal
      leadership of McClellan's "slows" and generate impatience.
      I feel that the clash of leadership styles (as well as personalities,
      as Buell discusses) and Thomas' seeming tonedeafness to political
      exigencies explain their rocky relationship more than any conspiracy
      or deliberate attempt by Grant to prevent Thomas from rising. All
      this is my subjective opinion, based on the little that I have read.

      Bob Aldrich
    • Show all 24 messages in this topic