22518Re: [civilwarwest] Digest Number 177

  • crogers48@aol.com
    Nov 29, 2000
      Actually, I support changing the State flag of Georgia.  Outside the context
      of the history of the Civil War, the Stars and Bars means, to me and many
      others, the enslavement of a race of people considered less than human.  I
      would think that no State would want to have that association with it today,
      no matter how historically correct it is.  If the Stars and Bars conjures up
      racism in the minds of a large segment of the population of any nationality,
      why have it in a State emblem, when the State is there to serve all its
      citizens, including the descendants of those that the State helped enslave?
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic