22454Re: Letter from a USCT

  • tip87th@msn.com
    Nov 4, 2000
      --- In civilwarwest@egroups.com, grabrulee@a... wrote:

      > It looks to me that if Samuel Cabble had still been alive
      then he may
      > well be wondering why he and his fellows ever bothered putting on
      the
      > uniforms of which they were so proud and to pick up their muskets
      with which
      > they felt they could do so much good.
      > Just a few rambling (if disconnected) thoughts.

      Graham,

      You may be interested in this.

      My better half recently had the honor of attending a small,
      personal meeting with five members of the 332 Fighter Group during a
      city aviation management class. Certainly one who lives in Europe
      would or should be familiar with the "Red Tailed Angels" of the
      Tuskegee Airmen. Recall that the 332nd never lost a bomber under its
      escort cover to enemy fighter planes, during the in-route,
      penetration and withdrawal phases of strategic bomdardment operations
      all over the European continent during the Second World War.

      Relevent to your er, ramblings, would be the several questions
      posed to these gentlemen and lady on the subject of not only their
      own accomplishments, but on the great strides that they felt had been
      achieved by the negro race as a whole. The subject of negros in the
      civil war was raised by Dr. Roscoe Brown who, along with the rest of
      the panel felt that the addition and recruitment of negros in the
      Federal Army was the grandfather of civil rights in the U.S.. They
      personally believe that the 332's record, accomplishments and
      intigration into the United States military was another keystone to
      the civl rights movement. Certainly these airmen do not regret their
      service.

      Perhaps Mr. Cabble wouldn't be impressed with Dr. Brown's
      downing of an Me-262 during an escort mission to Berlin on the
      afternoon of March 24, 1945. The bomber pilots who were escorted by a
      red-tailed P-51 or P-47 during the war would probably beg to differ.
      The Tuskegee Airgroup as a whole exceded all expectations with honor
      and dignity.

      I would not pretend to argue the fact that imbelcilic racial
      hatred and sterotyping did not and does not exist today in the world.
      Yet I use the example and thoughts of these Tuskegee Airmen to refute
      any notion that Mr. Cabble would be dishonored in his enthusiasm for
      donning the uniform of the United States of America.

      Respectfully,

      Tip
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic