2170Re: Digest Number 177

  • jrayelliot@aol.com
    Nov 30, 2000
      Let us not stop with the flags, the KKK also uses the sign of the
      cross, should we not therfore ban the cross as well.

      Ray

      --- In civilwarwest@egroups.com, jaaah@t... wrote:
      > Excellent point, Sir.
      >

      > > ** Original Subject: RE: [civilwarwest] Digest Number 177
      > > ** Original Sender: "James Jolly" <redrover@b...>
      > > ** Original Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 20:15:14 -0600
      >
      > > ** Original Message follows...
      >

      > > Why stop with the Georgia state flag then. The US flag also
      represented the enslavement of a people. Just as bad it represented
      genocide toward Native Americans. Should we then change all such
      emblems?

      > > JJ
      > >
      > > Virtue, then, is a state of character concerned with choice,
      lying in a mean, i.e. the mean relative to us, ... it is a mean
      between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which
      depends on defect ... while virtue both finds and chooses that which
      is intermediate.

      > > Aristotle "Nicomachean Ethics

      Outside the context
      > > of the history of the Civil War, the Stars and Bars means, to
      me and many
      > > others, the enslavement of a race of people considered less
      than human. I
      > > would think that no State would want to have that association
      with it today,
      > > no matter how historically correct it is. If the Stars and
      Bars conjures up
      > > racism in the minds of a large segment of the population of any
      nationality,
      > > why have it in a State emblem, when the State is there to serve
      all its
      > > citizens, including the descendants of those that the State
      helped enslave?
      > > eGroups Sponsor
      > >

      > >** --------- End Original Message ----------- **
      >

      > Download NeoPlanet at http://www.neoplanet.com