21257Re: Medical Personnel

  • Alice Holtin
    May 29, 2000
      Thanks for the additional information, Steve.

      Maybe I should be more specific. Francis was with what was commonly
      known as the "28th Thomas' Louisiana", or more accurately, the 29th
      Louisiana Inf. Reg., Co. B, Elam Guards. At Vicksburg, they were
      with
      Maj.-Gen. Martin L. Smith's Division; Third Brigade, Brig.-Gen.
      Stephen D. Lee, Brig-Gen. F.A. Shoup.

      Sorry for the confusion.
      Alice

      --- In civilwarwest@egroups.com, "Stephen D Wakefield"
      <sdwakefield@p...> wrote:
      > One thing I neglected to mention ...I am assuming that the records
      we have
      > are from the 28th La, Volunteer Infantry. the 28th La. was not in
      existence
      > at the time of Shiloh April6-7, 1862, BUT if in fact he had state
      militia
      > service ( with one of the three militia units I identified in the
      earlier
      > post) when he signed up with the 28 La. he would have been given
      credit for
      > time served from his prior service, He was signing up for 3 years
      or
      the war
      > whichever came first. It was common for officers as an inducement
      sign up
      > to allow enlistees to "back-date" initial enlistment to time he had
      joined
      > prior units.
      > When the three militia units I mentioned had their 90 enlistment's
      expire,
      > it would have been during the Siege of Cornith and many joined new
      or
      > existing regular volunteer units. For example I think the Crescent
      Reg..
      > which was in fact 11 companies instead of the regulation called for
      10
      > companies ... pretty much joined up enmass to form t___ I think and
      this is
      > from memory the 20th or 23 th La... Could be wrong on that.
      > Now unfortunately I just do not know exactly when the 28th La. came
      into
      > being.
      > Now that brings us to the BIG problem with your information. To the
      best of
      > my memory there was no 28th La. at Chickasaw Bluffs or that
      surrendered with
      > the Vicksburg garrison. Now I will defer to " Dameron" who is
      really
      our
      > resident expert on Vicksburg. But the provisional division under
      Lee
      was the
      > only division with La. infantry units in it at Chickasaw Bluffs and
      I am
      > pretty sure ( not certain ) that the La infantry regiments where
      > 17th,22nd,26th, 29th and 31st. I think the 3rd La. arrived after
      most of
      > fighting completed... the 28th though I just do not remember. Also
      no 28th
      > La. at Shiloh. At the surrender in July 63 there was no 28th La.
      that
      > surrendered --now on this one I am about 90% sure.
      > Regards-
      > Wakefield

      Australian
      > > whose great-grandfather emigrated to America about 1855. In
      March,
      > > 1861, John Fearn Francis enlisted in New Orleans as a private
      with
      the
      > > 28th Thomas' Louisiana Infantry Regiment (Volunteers). He was
      present
      > > at Chickasaw Bluffs/Bayou and was paroled at Vicksburg as a 2nd
      > > Lieutenant. He lived in Mansfield, Louisiana, and was there on 8
      April
      > > 1864. After his death at Mansfield, his widow and children
      returned home
      > > to Australia. The events at Mansfield are another interesting
      story
      > > altogether!
      > >
      > > A question: John Francis' military records show him to be a
      "Nurse in
      > > Camp Hospital on Daily Duty", or "Nurse R.H." ("R.H"??? Regimental
      > > Headquarters, maybe?). My friend remembers family stories about
      this
      > > ancestor, including talk of Shiloh, but he can't remember the
      Shiloh
      > > connection. Is there any record of medical personnel from other
      units,
      > > especially a NEW unit, being sent in to Shiloh AFTER the battle?
      > > Francis enlisted 29 March 1862; Shiloh was less than ten days
      later. Is
      > > that even a possibility? The earliest date shown on the Company
      Muster