21012[civilwarwest] Gen. W.W. Loring's Division

  • Waldemar Winkler
    Mar 1, 2000
      I am tracing the movements of the 23d Mississippi Infantry Regiment,
      whose records were destroyed by fire.
      I am hoping someone within our membership can shed some light on a
      mystery I have been trying to unravel for some time, which is: where
      did General William Wing Loring's Confederate Division go and what did
      they do following the battle of Baker's Creek, ( Champion's Hhill) in
      mid-May, 1963? Where were they from May - Dec., 1863, and where were
      from Jan., 1864 - May 1864?

      During the battle of Baker's Creek ( Champion's Hill), in mid May,
      1863, the Confederae division under the command of Gen. William Wing
      Loring was separated from the rest of the Confederate forces, and
      forced to flee southeast. They eventually joined with General
      Johnston's army at Jackson, and then disappeared.

      In my research, Gen. Loring's division vanished after Jackson, Miss. I
      find it again when some regiments are involved in a battle at
      Coffeevill on Dec, 5, 1863. I am sure it is involved in Sherman's
      attack on Meridian, but I haven't seen this division pop up in print
      until the battle of Resaca, Georgia, in May of 1864.

      Prior to the defeat at Baker's Creek, General Loring's division had the
      following structure:

      Department of Mississippi and Eastern Lousiana, Fourth Military
      District, General John Pemberton, commanding.

      ? Corps, General Polk, Commanding

      1st Brigade, General Lloyd Tilghman, Commanding the following regiments:
      50th Alabama Infantry Regiment
      54th Alabama Infantry Regiment
      Heddon's artillery Battery
      8th Kentucky Infantry
      Company C., 4th Mississippi Artillery Batt.
      14th Mississippi Infantry
      20th Mississippi Infantry
      23d Mississippi Infantry
      26th Mississippi Infantry

      I sincerely appreciate any informatin or research leads anyone can
      provide.

      Respectfully,

      Waldemar Winkler
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic