20493[civilwarwest] Surrender at Appomattox

  • JackEhmer123@aol.com
    Oct 18, 1999
      This may not be the correct forum for this question, but I will bet that
      there are several out there who can answer a question for me: Who were the
      officers present in the room at the McLean House for the signing of the
      surrender? In particular, I am referring to the painting, "Surrender at
      Appomattox", by Tom Lovell. The Union officer at the far right has been
      identified to me as either Custer or Chamberlain. In fact, this picture may
      or may not be historically accurate. From Chamberlain's, "Passing of the
      Armies", it does not appear that he was in the room. Thanks for your help.

      Jack Ehmer
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic