20483[civilwarwest] Did Lincoln really need Atlanta?

  • Stewart L Bennett
    Oct 13, 1999
      Question to any and all out there.

      Did Lincoln really need Sherman's "gift" of the city of Atlanta in order
      for him to be re-elected?I read and hear from others that the taking of
      Atlanta assured Lincoln's re-election.The more I think about it the more
      uncomfortable I am with it.What do you think..? Even if Atlanta did hold
      out until after the election did Lincoln really have anything to worry
      about?

      Stewart