20186Re: Perryville article

  • Mark Peters
    Sep 1, 2003
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Smith" <dmsmith001@y...>
      >Tradition holds that Bottom, as a slaveowner, buried the Confederate
      >dead as something of a duty. Local lore, however, suggests that it
      >was more a matter of made to do it by the Federals.
      >
      > Dave

      I hope that local lore is correct, in this case. I'll try not to be
      too judgemental, but it seems somewhat repugnant to only bury one's
      own dead, and leave the bodies of the opposition to the elements,
      when not in any danger from attack.

      In fear of being too morbid, I trust respect was generally shown to
      the dead and treatment was accorded to the injured of both sides,
      during the length of the conflict. Other than the odd (much written
      about events), atrocities seem to have been the exception, rather
      than the rule.

      Mark
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic